Last updated on January 14, 2024
This podcast covers New Girl Season 4, Episode 5, Landline, which originally aired on October 14, 2014 and was written by Rob Rosell and directed by Trent O’Donnell.
Because of some construction, the loft doesn’t have good cell reception. Jess’s answer to this is to get the loft a landline which prompts Nick to act as a secretary and Jess to find out about Coach’s relationships with their coworkers.
While not discussed in the podcast, we noted other references in this episode including:
- Blanche / Golden Girls – Coach called out Jess for commenting on his sleeping with other teachers and Coach said she was like the character Blanche from Golden Girls.
- War Games / Short Circuit – Nick told an elaborate story about why you shouldn’t trust technology and as the loft mates called out he likely stole that from the movie War Games or more likely Short Circuit.
- Splash – In response to listing out other movies, the loft shared that Splash was a good movie.
- Carson Daly – When Winston pretended to be Schmidt during the interview, he said the last book Schmidt read was Carson Daly’s biography.
This episode got a 8/10 rating from Kritika whose favorite character was Nick and Kelly rated this episode a 8.5/10 and her favorite character was Coach!
- Most Likely To:
- Do the phone thing well like Winston
- Break up with someone on their behalf
- Get wrapped up in your friend’s lives
- Get a landline
- Schmidt + Winston doing their phone call after Nick hangs up
- In the 2020s:
- Not: Asian thing again from Principal Foster / wearing Children’s halloween nurse costume to school as a SCHOOL nurse / Coach being the guy who “has sex with everyone” as his role in the school
- Yes: Nick communicating his feelings about being left out
- Pop Culture:
- Sam Jackson
- Guest Stars:
- Julian Morris (Ryan)
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 6!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com