Last updated on November 10, 2020
This podcast covers New Girl Season 1, Episode 10, The Story of the 50, which originally aired on January 17, 2012 and was written by Luvh Rakhe and directed by Troy Miller.
It’s Schmidt’s 29th Birthday and his birthday party isn’t going exactly to plan. Jess doesn’t want Schmidt to feel down so she plans a surprise Birthday Party on a party bus for Schmidt and his friends and the party has its share of interesting moments. We also meet Nick’s new girlfriend, Julia, who is a lawyer with some hidden anger management issues.
We discuss Pop Culture References such as:
- Sister, Sister – This was a television show that aired on ABC and WB in the 90s that Nick says Winston loves when talking to Julia.
- Frankie Muniz – Frankie Muniz is an actor that is referenced in this episode as having stolen the party bus away from Schmidt.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Huey Lewis – Nick mentions that he listens to Huey Lewis [& the News] because “it pumps [him] up”.
- Jazz Cigarettes/Grass – Jess’ Vice Principal, Tanya, was alluding to marijuana in the “confiscation station” at the school by referring to it as a few of its nicknames.
- Paperless Post – Julia was asking about what type of birthday party Schmidt was having and in the process of finding out she asked if there was a “Paperless Post”, indicating an online invite.
- N.W.A. – During the douchebag montage, Schmidt says “Winston, did you know that N.W.A. didn’t stand for ‘Never Walk Alone’?” This is actually an American hip hop group and considered one of the most influential groups in the genre.
- Coachella – This was not actually stated in the episode, but the group had a Coachella poster on the wall in their loft. The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival (commonly known as Coachella) is a very popular annual music and arts festival in Indio, CA.
This episode had a bunch of “Schmidtisms” but we explored Schmidt “turning TWENTY-NINE” and our favorites around Schmidt making an omelette and walking in wearing a muscle tank top and his hat sideways. We discuss how Nick and Julia do Bill Cosby impressions, Benjamin calling Nick N-Word, Benjamin’s forceful approach to trying to sleep with Jess, and Benjamin’s fat-shaming of Schmidt as part of this week’s “Not in 2020”. We also give a quick look into Matt Besser and David Neher, the Guest Stars we feature in this episode.
This episode got a 8.5/10 Rating from Kritika whose favorite character is Schmidt and Kelly rated this episode a 8/10 and her favorite character was Jess!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 11!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com
Be First to Comment