Last updated on November 10, 2020
This podcast covers New Girl Season 1, Episode 11, Jess & Julia, which originally aired on January 31, 2012 and was written by Luvh Rakhe and directed by Jake Kasdan.
Jess is excited to have another girl in the apartment and wants to bond with her, starting with asking her for help in a legal case. Unfortunately, Julia’s not interested in being friends with Jess and they get into a fight. Meanwhile, Winston’s trying to reconnect with an old flame and Schmidt spends the episode mad about having a damp towel.
We discuss Pop Culture References such as:
- Cocktail – Nick was trying to impress Julia by spinning the alcohol bottle around him and after Nick drops the bottle, the bar manager says “Hey Nick, No Cocktail” referring to how the bartenders in that movie twirl bottles around the bar.
- Cocktail Bar Scene – https://youtu.be/gyAxE2vS318
- Teddy Ruxpin – When Jess and Julia are arguing after the courtroom scene, Jess says about herself that she’s “not a Teddy Ruxpin” referring to the 80s storytelling bear.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Murphy Brown – When Jess and Julia are fighting outside the courtroom, Jess says that she doesn’t talk like Murphy Brown which is a reference to a sitcom whose main character was a journalist and news anchor. She’s known to be sharp tongued and having a hard-hitting personality but is not known for being warm or sympathetic.
We also cover an honorary “Schmidtism” discussing the final bathroom scene and also talk about Schmidt trying to give Winston dating advice which is also kind of a “Not in 2020” moment. This week’s “Not in 2020” also discusses the way Julia and Jess talk about stepping into each other’s careers and workplace culture in general. The Guest Stars we highlighted on this episode were Lizzy Caplan and Kali Hawk.
This episode got a 8.5/10 Rating from Kritika and 9/10 from Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Jess!
Additional notes mentioned in podcast:
- Kali Hawk’s high fashion accessories company: http://www.hcrowne.com/
- Jess’ Citation
Thanks for listening and stay tuned in 2 weeks for Episode 12!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com