Last updated on March 19, 2023
This podcast covers New Girl Season 3, Episode 23, Cruise, which originally aired on May 6, 2014 and was directed by Elizabeth Meriwether and written by Luvh Rakhe and Rob Rosell.
The loft goes on a cruise together while Nick and Jess continue to deal with the awkwardness of their break up.
- “Shame, shame I know your name” / The Goonies – Winston said the phrase “Shame, shame I know your name” to Schmidt and Cece at different times in the episode, calling them out for liking the other. We also shared that Josh Gad reunited the cast of The Goonies in his Reunited Apart series on YouTube.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- “Amazing Grace” – When Coach is scared during the cruise safety training, the trainer, Doug, starts singing “Amazing Grace”, which is a Christian hymn published in 1779. Words for the song were originally written by English Anglican clergyman and poet John Newton. In the United States, the song is very popular and is used for both religious and secular purposes.
On this episode’s Most Likely To we see who is more likely to make the most of the money they’ve already spent, make their own rosé, plan an intervention for their friends, and go on a cruise. We also cover the moment where Schmidt cued up the violinist for his big moment with Cece as our “Schmidtism”. For “Not in the 2020s” we highlight the return of the fat shaming and how Coach felt that if he showed his fear of boats it would make him less of a man. For “Yes in the 2020s” we discuss Schmidt prioritizing Cece over himself and the loft coming together for Nick and Jess. We give a brief look into Kerri Kenney (Captain Jan Nortis) and Oscar Nuñez (Doug), the guest stars we feature in this episode.
Also in this episode were the following guest stars who we do not discuss in the podcast: Jessica Gardner (Yoga Instructor), Gabriela Fresquez (Ship Employee), Nick Armstrong (Stranger), Amber Friendly (Masseuse), Dalton Grant (Photographer), Ray Reinebach (Violinist), and Kelly Bacon (Cruise Guest).
Additionally, we discuss the different parts of a boat and many different articles of trivia, linked below. We did not find the bear in this episode.
- What New Girl’s Season Finale Got Right and Wrong About Cruising
- AV Club’s Episode Recap
- Vulture Episode Recap
While not discussed in the podcast, we noted other references in this episode including:
- Skee-Ball – Nick asks Winston to cash in his Skee-Ball tickets as he didn’t want to go to the other side of the boat. Skee-Ball is an arcade game where a person throws a ball up an incline, with the hopes of getting it into a group of rings of different sizes, which account for different points.
- PG-13 – When Nick and Jess were given the Grand Romance Package, they asked to have a PG-13 package instead. PG-13 denotes “Parental Guidance: Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13 to 15.” and is used in the United States, Singapore, Jamaica, the UAE, and Thailand as a movie and TV rating system.
This episode got an 8/10 rating from Kritika and 7.5/10 from Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Winston!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for our Season 3 Recap!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com