Last updated on October 8, 2023
This podcast covers New Girl Season 4, Episode 2, Dice, which originally aired on September 23, 2014 and was written by Matt Fusfeld and Alex Cuthbertson and directed by Lynn Shelton.
Jess takes a risk and learns how to use dating apps from Schmidt while Nick and Cece get Coach stoned for the first time…right before they get invited to a party with Winston’s cop coworkers.
While not discussed in the podcast, we noted other references in this episode including:
- Babar – Nick thought Schmidt’s hookup, Barb, was the name of the cartoon elephant Babar.
- DTF – Jess thought “Darn tootin’ fun” could be represented by the acronym “DTF”.
- Hemsworth – When training Jess on Dice, Schmidt showed a photo of a man who looked like a Hemsworth.
- Taboo Buzzer – Schmidt used the loft’s Taboo buzzer to train Jess on Dice.
- Kings of Leon – Schmidt commented that Kings of Leon was a good band, but stuck in one place musically.
- Titanic – When Nick was high, he claimed, “No man or piece of scientific technology has ever been to the bottom of the ocean.” However, Cece, who was also high, confirmed the man who made the Titanic did.
- Al Pacino – When Nick was high, he poorly did imitations and Coach guessed he was imitating Al Pacino.
- Broadway – Jess felt she wasn’t ready to Dice date yet, saying, “I’m not ready. That’s like taking a musical from rehearsals straight to Broadway. You got to workshop it first.”
- Beatnik – Jess was asking one of her Dice dates if he was a chef or Beatnik because of his turtleneck shirt.
- Charlotte’s Web – Winston was telling a story about a spider and shared how he hoped it was “Charlotte’s Web and [it’s] nice” before spoiling the plot for the partygoers who didn’t know the story of Charlotte’s Web.
- Michael Strahan – One of Jess’s Dice dates said, “I’m not gay, but I would go crazy on Michael Strahan.”
- Meryl Streep – One of Jess’s Dice dates said he thought Meryl Streep was dumb.
- [Hockey Positions] – Jess used an excuse to get out of a date mentioning the “Center Wing” in hockey and he confirmed that’s not a position.
- “Pomp and Circumstance” – Coach, Cece, and Nick were singing this song in the closet after they said they could “see” Cece going back to school.
This episode got a 8/10 rating from both Kritika and Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Schmidt!
- Most Likely To:
- Walk around all day thinking about other people’s feelings
- Think a new dating app was a bar
- Wear a bird shirt
- Teach someone how to use dating apps
- Schmidt starting to teach Jess how to “dice”
- In the 2020s:
- Not: Comparing Nick with pot to a Chinese girl playing the piano, fatshaming
- Yes: Schmidt calling Jess the last piece of pie, noting therapy is not just to get through something, Jess feeling comfortable in her own skin
- Pop Culture:
- Guest Stars:
- Jon Barinholtz (Dugan)
- Additional Notes:
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 3!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com