Last updated on August 29, 2023
This podcast covers New Girl Season 4, Episode 1, The Last Wedding, which originally aired on September 16, 2014 and was written by J.J. Philben and directed by Trent O’Donnell.
It’s been a few months since Cruise and the loft mates have been to 11 weddings this summer… This episode has the gang attending a 12th wedding with a goal to not go home alone.
While not discussed in the podcast, we noted other references in this episode including:
- Academy Awards / Anna Paquin – Schmidt gets “angry and scared” that Jess knits and likens it to when he hears the phrase, “Academy Award winner Anna Paquin.”
- [Olaf] from Frozen – Coach thought the bridesmaid Nick made out with looked like “the snowman from Frozen”.
- [Game of Thrones] – When Schmidt was making the case that “nobody meets anybody in fall…” he also said, “Winter… is coming” – a famous quote from the show Game of Thrones.
- Malcolm Gladwell – Kat shared she lost her virginity to author, Malcolm Gladwell.
- [Last Helicopter Out of Saigon] – Throughout the episode there was a bit between Schmidt and Nick regarding whether or not they should have a four way and they related Schmidt’s desperation to the “Last Helicopter Out of Saigon”.
- The Best Man Holiday – A past hookup that Coach ran into again told him she “rented Best Man Holiday. You’re not in it.”
- Batman / Teenage Simba – Jess’s first crush was on a Batman cake, but her first sexual feelings were for Teenage Simba.
- Larry King – When competing with Kat, Jess showed a picture of her with a guy who she thought was Larry King.
This episode got an 8/10 rating from Kritika and 7.5/10 from Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Winston!
- Most Likely To:
- Be invited to 11 weddings in one summer
- Get into a compliment fight
- Follow someone into a bathroom to prove a point
- Not realize making a sexual innuendo
- Nick & Schmidt’s “Interesting” Scene after finding out that Cece is single
- In the 2020s:
- Not: “Gamble on a bulky sweater”, “Stick your boobs out gotta turn your headlight on”, Nick calling Cece “young lady”
- Yes: Jess being herself!, Nick being willing to do a four way to help Schmidt, Scott & Derek’s Wedding
- Pop Culture:
- Joe Biden
- Tina Turner / What’s Love Got to Do with It
- Guest Stars:
- Jessica Biel (Kat)
- Reid Scott (Ted)
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 2!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com