Last updated on December 10, 2020
This podcast covers New Girl Season 1, Episode 15, Injured, which originally aired on March 6, 2012 and was written by J.J. Philbin and directed by Lynn Shelton.
During a game of touch football, Jess accidentally tackles Nick, leaving him injured. She takes him to see her gynecologist friend, Sadie, who gives him meds for his back but notices an abnormal growth on his neck which leads to him taking an ultrasound that he couldn’t afford. The gang all deal with his potential diagnosis in different ways, but Nick and Jess bond. In the end, Nick is okay and the gang is closer than ever.
On this episode’s Pop Culture section we focused on:
- Fredo Kiss – Schmidt continues to “Fredo Kiss” Nick through this episode out of love.
- Lucky Magazine – Jess hands Nick a Lucky magazine to tag things that he wants while he waits in Sadie’s office.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Walking like a Disney Witch – After Jess tackles Nick, Jess asks Nick if he’s ok and mentions he looks like he’s walking like a Disney Witch; they tend to hobble as they walk as shown in this YouTube video here.
- Desert Storm – Winston explains “things happened” in his car and Schmidt exclaims “Desert Storm?” Desert Storm was the first major foreign crisis for the United States after the end of the Cold War and was part of the Gulf War
- Daffy Duck – Jess does a Daffy Duck impression to cheer up Nick that her mom used to do when she was scared. Daffy Duck is an animated cartoon duck created by Warner Bros. Daffy was number 14 on TV Guide’s list of top 50 greatest cartoon characters and has been a character since 1937.
- Daniel Boone – Jess makes a joke about how many ears Daniel Boone has and says he has 3 because “he has a right ear, a left ear, and a front-ier”. Daniel Boone was an American frontiersman whose exploits made him one of the first folk heroes of the US.
We also cover “Schmidtisms” when Schmidt is comparing the death of Cece’s dad to a cat and later commenting on the soot coming in from the floors of Winston’s car. On this episode, we also discussed how Schmidt told Jess to run to the car while playing football and how that was a “Not in 2020”. Additionally, we explore the careers of June Diane Raphael and Ben Hoffman, the guest stars we highlighted in this episode.
This episode got a 7/10 Rating from Kritika whose favorite character is Nick and Kelly also rated this episode a 7/10 but her favorite character was Jess!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 16!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com