Last updated on September 26, 2021
This podcast covers New Girl Season 2, Episode 17, Parking Spot, which originally aired on February 19, 2013 and was written by Rebecca Addelman and directed by Fred Goss.
Schmidt finds a parking spot in the apartment building and he, Nick, and Jess fight over who deserves it. Winston also meets up with Daisy to have sex but dramatically does not have a condom.
On this episode’s Pop Culture section we reviewed:
- Memory (from Cats) – Jess mentioned she was going to distract the cats on her car by throwing fish sticks at them and singing the song Memory from the Broadway musical Cats.
- Scott Caan – Schmidt stated the quote, “Destiny might be a lady, but victory has a penis,” which he attributed to Scott Caan. This is not a quote he is known to have said.
We also cover the moment where Schmidt finds out that Nick and Jess were together as our “Schmidtism”. For our “Not in the 2020s” we cover the no nail oath and how Daisy expected Winston to have a condom and didn’t take any ownership. Our “Yes in the 2020s” include the way Winston wanting to sleep with Daisy was something he could be open about and not have any shame around. We also discuss Steve Agee (Outside Dave) and E.J. Callahan (Old Man Driver), the Guest Stars we feature in this episode.
We also discuss this article (which contains spoilers) where we learned how this episode was rewritten from the beginning to the end and how this might be one of Elizabeth Merriweather’s favorite episodes from Season 2.
While not discussed in the podcast, we noted other references in this episode including:
- Constitution of America – When Jess suggests sharing the parking spot, Schmidt counters by referencing the Constitution of the United States. The Constitution of the United States of America is the supreme law delineating the 3 branches of government. It was created in 1787 and has been in effect since 1789 with 27 amendments since.
- United Nations – As Schmidt is berating Jess he mentions that competition and sex is why the United Nations were formed. The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that was established after World War II to maintain peace and security.
- Barack Obama – As Nick is listing the other dumb things he’s done like kissing Jess, he mentions how he had been mispronouncing Barack Obama’s name. Barack Obama was the 44th President of the United States of America, elected in 2008. He was the President in office at the time of this episode’s airing.
- Purple Nurple – After Jess convinces Nick to give her the parking spot, she twists his nipples and yells out “Purple Nurple”. This is a slang term referring to the act of pinching a person’s nipple between the thumb and forefinger.
- BlackBerry – When Schmidt is reading the no nail oath, he pulls out his BlackBerry phone. The first BlackBerry phone came out in 1999 and was the first to allow its users to have email on their phone. While in 2021 there are still some BlackBerry branded phones, the company announced that they would stop making phones of their own in 2016.
This episode got a 7/10 Rating from both Kritika and Kelly; Kritika’s favorite character was Nick and Kelly’s favorite was Schmidt.
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 18!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com