Last updated on March 17, 2022
This podcast covers New Girl Season 3, Episode 1, All In, which originally aired on September 17, 2013 and was written by Elizabeth Meriwether and directed by Max Winkler.
Nick and Jess share they’re ready to go “All In” and end up running off to Mexico. Winston and Schmidt continue to feel out their friendship. Schmidt still can’t decide between Cece and Elizabeth and we learn Winston is colorblind!
On this episode’s Pop Culture section we reviewed:
- Point Break – When Nick is running away from the resort security, he exclaims “I will Point Break style this moment!”
- Ugly Betty – When Nick was in resort jail he shared it wasn’t so bad and that he was allowed to watch the television show, Ugly Betty.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Craigslist – Jess reminisced that she got “a really great deal on Craigslist” when she found the listing for Apartment 4D. Craigslist is an American classified advertisements website with sections devoted to jobs, housing, for sale, items wanted, services, community service, gigs, résumés, and discussion forums. Craig Newmark began the service in 1995 as an email distribution list to friends and it has since expanded to over 70 countries.
- Kermit the Frog – Winston didn’t know that Kermit the Frog was green. Kermit the Frog is a Muppet character created and originally performed by Jim Henson. Introduced in 1955, Kermit can be found in numerous Muppet productions, most notably Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, as well as in other television series, feature films, specials, and public service announcements through the years.
This season we started a new section of our podcast called “Most Likely To” where we pick moments from the episode and answer which one of us we think best fits that prompt. Listen today to hear who we think is most likely to be really bad at puzzles, wear a sweatshirt on their legs, run away to Mexico, and think things will work out unrealistically!
We also cover two “Schmidtisms” when Schmidt was talking to Cece on the couch and when Schmidt got frustrated that Winston didn’t know what the puzzle was going to look like. For “Not in the 2020s” we discuss how Jess & Nick were the stereotypical tourists in Mexico and Schmidt blamed Cece and Elizabeth for “putting him in this position.” Our “Yes in the 2020s” centered around Winston agreeing to help Schmidt by making himself look bad to Cece. We also explore the careers of Hemky Madera (Gabriel) and Cole Sand (Little Kid), the guest stars of this episode.
Also in this episode were the following guest stars who we do not discuss in the podcast: Merritt Wever (Elizabeth – Previously discussed in S2E22), Dominic Flores (Front Desk Clerk), Grayson Francis (Brad), Ray Reynaga (Julio), Roberto Montesinos (Manny), Drew Butler (Border Guard), and Matt Dione (Resort Patron).
On this podcast we also refer to a few interviews from Jake Johnson, Zooey Deschanel, and Elizabeth Meriwether where they talked about this episode and more of Season 3. We also began to track the bears that are in each episode of New Girl! For this premiere, we couldn’t find the bear ourselves but let us know where you see the bear in this episode!
- Piñata – When Nick wakes up, he realizes that Jess has driven to Mexico and sees a piñata that is shaped like a monkey. A piñata is a decorated papier-mache container filled with candy that is broken as part of a celebration. They’re commonly associated with Mexico but actually came from the Italian word pignatta.
- Jollies – Winston tries to help Schmidt cover up his lie and allows Schmidt to tell Cece that Winston “got his jollies off” with Elizabeth. This is a slang term that means one’s amusement, enjoyment, or pleasure but is usually referred to in terms of perverse satisfaction or a sexual thrill/charge.
This episode got an 8/10 rating from Kritika and 7.5/10 from Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Winston!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 2!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com