Last updated on August 3, 2021
This podcast covers New Girl Season 2, Episode 12, Cabin, which originally aired on January 8, 2013 and was written by J.J. Philbin and directed by Alec Berg.
Jess persuades Nick and Angie to join her and Sam at his boss’s cabin for a weekend away while Schmidt tries to help Winston get back to his “roots” as a Black man.
On this episode’s Pop Culture section we reviewed:
- Absinthe – Absinthe is the alcoholic beverage Jess, Sam, Nick, and Angie all drink while they’re at the cabin.
- The Smurfs – Schmidt tells Winston he has the body of a Smurf when confirming he was in better shape than Winston.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Jackie O – Jess says Nick looks like Jackie O when he shows up at the cabin with large sunglasses. Jackie O is a nickname reference for Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who was an American socialite, book editor, writer, and photographer who became First Lady of the United States as the wife of President John F. Kennedy. As first lady, her popularity was due to her dedication to the historic preservation of the White House and devotion to protecting her children. During her lifetime, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was regarded as an international fashion icon as was specifically known for her large round sunglasses.
- Pixar – Schmidt says Winston was like Pixar when talking to other Black people at the bar. Pixar Animation Studios, commonly known as Pixar, is an American computer animation studio known for its critically and commercially successful feature films that typically center around uplifting, life lesson stories.
We cover Schmidt and Winston going to find crack as our “Schmidtism” this episode. For our “not in the 2020s” we discussed the way Schmidt approached trying to be “the Black friend [Winston] never had” and our “yes in the 2020s” included Schmidt wanting to create an open environment to have a frank discussion about race and how Nick shared his true feelings about his relationship with Angie. We also give a quick look into Javier Calderon (Robert), the Guest Star we feature in this episode.
Additionally in the podcast, we discussed the term “jimmies” (which Schmidt used in this episode) and its etymology as well as how Jake Johnson later acted in Drinking Buddies where the couples go to a cabin and do swap partners. We also mentioned how the cabin used in this episode was also used in an episode of The Office in Season 8.
While not discussed in the podcast, we noted other references in this episode including:
- Chanting USA – In this episode, Nick begins chanting “USA” when he and Angie show up at their free cabin for the weekend. This is a popular chant in the United States to express U.S. pride and support national sports teams. The first documented usage of this chant was in a steel plant in Lebanon, Pennsylvania.
- Jazz – When Schmidt is comparing the contributions of Winston and his ancestors to the United States, he mentions jazz. Jazz is a musical genre originated in African-American communities in New Orleans, Louisiana with roots in blues and ragtime music as well as West African cultural musical expressions and African-American music traditions.
This episode got an 8/10 rating from Kritika whose favorite character was Schmidt and Kelly rated this episode an 8.5/10 and her favorite character was Jess!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 13!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com