Last updated on December 4, 2022
This podcast covers New Girl Season 3, Episode 16, Sister, which originally aired on February 11, 2014 and was directed by Max Winkler and written by Matt Fusfeld & Alex Cuthbertson.
Jess has to go pick up her sister and is desperate to keep Abby and Nick apart. Meanwhile, Bertie’s having a dinner that the whole loft is invited to and Schmidt tries to hook up with his rabbi’s daughter.
- West Side Story / Puerto Rican “Shark” – Schmidt played a Puerto Rican “Shark” in a production of the musical West Side Story.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Julia Child – In response to Nick saying he wanted to make a good impression for Abby, Schmidt said he wanted Julia Child not to be dead. Julia Child was an American cooking teacher, author, and television personality recognized for bringing French cuisine to the American public with her debut cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and her television programs.
- Sammy Davis Jr. – When Nick said he was a goofball, the Rabbi at the Bar Mitzvah said, “Sammy Davis Jr. Was a goofball. You, sir, are no Sammy Davis Jr.” Samuel “Sammy” Davis Jr. was an American singer, dancer, actor, comedian, film producer and television director. Among other aspects of his life, he was also part of the Rat Pack with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, with whom he starred in several films.
For our Most Likely To segment, we discuss which one of us is most likely to show up unexpectedly to a family member’s place, make 10-11 soups for dinner, be a wingman, and order food to someone else’s room. We also cover the Shabbat-hello as our “Schmidtism” this episode. We explore the careers of Jon Lovitz (Rabbi), Linda Cardellini (Abby Day), and Allyn Rachel (Rachel), the Guest Stars we feature in this episode.
Also in this episode were the following guest stars who we do not discuss in the podcast: Jamie Lee Curtis (Joan Day – Previously Discussed in S2E8), Jessica Chaffin (Bertie – Previously Discussed in S3E9), Steve Agee (Outside Dave – Previously Discussed in S2E17), Bunny Levine (Shirley), Jay Hawkins (Cop), Jeanette Branch (Tat’d Up Gal), Thom Khoury Williams (Dr. Nussbaum), Gary Dunkel (Bar Mitzvah Guest), and Juliet Tondowski (Flirty Yoga Girl).
We also cover Jess not having the perfect driving record that she mentions in this episode, the goof when Jess’ sister taps her empty wine glass and suddenly her glass is full, and we finally found the bear when Jess said “I didn’t put the cap back on the honey bear”.
- Bar Mitzvah – Jewish coming of age ritual (the word bar is used for a boy, and bat/bas for a girl).
- Hamantaschen – An Ashkenazi Jewish triangular filled-pocket pastry, associated with the Jewish holiday of Purim.
- Rabbi – A spiritual leader or religious teacher in Judaism.
- Baruch atah, Adonai (referenced as: Baruch atah Ado-nice dress) – Literally translates to “Blessed are You, the Eternal;” the beginning of many Hebrew blessings.
- Shabbat Shalom (referenced as: Shabbat Sha-hello) – A phrase used to express good wishes on or before the Jewish sabbath.
- Shanda – A shame or disgrace.
This episode got a 7/10 rating from Kritika and 7.5/10 from Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Nick!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 17!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com