Last updated on April 24, 2022
This podcast covers New Girl Season 3, Episode 4, The Captain, which originally aired on October 8, 2013 and was written by J.J. Philbin and directed by Fred Goss.
Schmidt tries to break up Nick and Jess while Winston is trying to get his cat laid.
On this episode’s Pop Culture section we reviewed:
- Titanic / Billy Zane – Nick shared that “After [Schmidt] saw the movie Titanic, he started the Billy Zane fan club… called the Zaniacs.” We also discuss this article celebrating Billy Zane in the Titanic.
- Will & Kate & Pippa – Schmidt threatened he could break up Will & Kate, of the British Royal Family, with one email forcing their son, George, to live with “Slutty” Aunt Pippa.
Additional Pop Culture References such as:
- Chicago Bears – Schmidt said the only thing Nick likes to talk about is the Chicago (Brown) Bears. The Chicago Bears are a professional American football team based in Chicago in the National Football League (NFL). The Bears have won nine NFL Championships, including one Super Bowl, and have also recorded more victories than any other NFL franchise. The Chicago Bears were also mentioned in S2E11 (Santa) and S2E14 (Pepperwood).
- Papa Smurf – When Jess was trying to turn Nick on she dressed like Papa Smurf. We went into depth on The Smurfs in S2E12 (Cabin).
On this episode’s Most Likely To, we discuss who would be more likely to not realize they were on a date, be afraid to talk about their feelings, feel very strongly about the cello, and use an ex’s heartfelt apology letter to throw away gum in. We also cover our favorite Schmidt lines this episode as opposed to a true “Schmidtism”. For our “Not in the 2020s” we spoke about the fat shaming that came from Schmidt and Jess in this episode but our “Yes in the 2020s” include Nick expressing his feelings and Jess’s support about Nick soundproofing the room without knowing what it was. We also give a quick look into Riki Lindhome, the Guest Star we featured in this episode.
On this episode, we discuss how Lamorne is allergic to cats and we found the bear this episode when Schmidt mentioned the Chicago “Brown” Bears! We also discuss an article about the cat brother Winston started being a cry for help which you can read here.
- Obama – When Schmidt is trying to get into Nick’s head, he tells him that he’s the “Obama on the ski slopes”. Barack Obama was the 44th President of the United States of America, elected in 2008. He was the President in office at the time of this episode’s airing.
- Groundhog Day – When Nick is struggling to perform, Jess calls it a “Groundhog Day” situation. Groundhog Day is a North American tradition observed in the United States and Canada on February 2 based on a Pennsylvania Dutch superstition that if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and sees its shadow (due to clear weather) – winter will go on for six more weeks; if it does not see its shadow because of cloudiness, spring will arrive early.
This episode got a 7/10 rating from Kritika and 8/10 from Kelly and we both had the same favorite character: Nick!
Thanks for listening and stay tuned for Episode 5!
Music: “Hotshot” by scottholmesmusic.com